Welcome, SON Alums!
Dear School of Nursing Grads,
Serving as President of the Stony Brook School of Nursing Alumni Board for the past two years has been both gratifying and challenging. Our mission has always been to build a strong and lasting relationship with our present and future alums by providing support for our current students and advancing the interests of professionalism in Nursing. With the support of the Board members many goals have been met.
Over the past two years we have:
- Continued to expand and strengthen the "Lunch and Learn" program which is a bi-annual event for students which first addresses stress and relaxation and then transitioning from the role of the student to the role of a professional nurse.
- Developed a mentoring program to support new graduates as they navigate the demanding role of practicing as a professional nurse.
- Created an inaugural e-Newseltter which will address topics of interest for both the student and the alumni with a number of photos. We think you will be pleased with its presentation.
- Collaborated with the Department of Continuing Education to present an educational opportunity to earn continuing education credits. We plan on this being a bi-annual event.
But we still need you to get involved by:
- Sending an email updated us and your classmates on "what's new" with you since you graduated.
- Joining us at one of the upcoming events featured on our website.
- Becoming a member of the Board or perhaps a committee member.
- Considering a gift to support our Nursing Student Scholarship Fund: The Nursing Student Scholarship Fund.
The SON Alumni Board is a dynamic group of colleagues who are smart, creative and fun. Join us as good things are happening for your Stony Brook School of Nursing and for you, a Stony Brook School of Nursing alum.
Please feel free to contact either Mary Hoffmann at firstname.lastname@example.org or me at email@example.com for additional information or to sign up.
Patricia B. Jacobowitz BS '79, MS '86, DNP '09
As an alum of the Stony Brook School of Nursing and/or its postgraduate programs, you have access to:
The School of Nursing Alumni Chapter Board serves as a link between the School and its graduates. We invite you to get involved! Click here to learn more about the School of Nursing Alumni Mentoring Program.
Check out our Facebook page!
2014 School of Nursing Alumni Board Award Scholarship Recipients
Maria Colandrea '14
School of Nursing Alumni Award
Kyle Flowers '16
School of Nursing Alumni Board Award
Ashley Franklin '15
School of Nursing Alumni Board Award as an Outstanding Student Leader
Stephanie Guice '15 (not pictured)
Stony Brook Alumni Scholarship
2014 School of Nursing Distinguished Alumni Award Announced
Dr. Ellen Giarelli '77 was named the recipient of the 2014 School of Nursing Distinguished Alumni Award. The Award presentation was held on May 21, 2014 at Stony Brook University in conjunction with the school's graduation convocation.
Questions? Please call Mary Hoffmann at 631-632-4995 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 Michael A. Maffetone Community Service Award Winner
School of Nursing Alumna Marret Anderson, RN, was presented with the Michael A. Maffetone Community Service Award on March, 14, 2014. Ms. Anderson works in the 17 South MICU of Stony Brook University Hospital. The Michael A. Maffetone Community Service Award is named after the former Stony Brook University Hospital CEO who passed away in 2003. The Michael A. Maffetone Community Service Awards are given annually to individuals and organizations engaged in outstanding community service.